JOB TITLE: Driver
REPORTING TO: Regional Administrator
SALARY: Commensurate with training and experience
Under the supervision of the Regional Administrator - AFROHUN, the driver shall ensure the provision of safe and reliable transportation for staff, visitors and materials, keeps the vehicle in good mechanical and functional condition, ensures compliance with all vehicle-related legal and institutional /management requirements.
Essential Job functions
• To provide safe, comfortable and reliable transportation for staff and partners/visitors including but not confined to airport pick-ups, travel within and outside Kampala, and all other locations as may be required by authorized staff on official business. The driver will ensure that safety belts are worn at all times, there is no smoking in the vehicle and that no alcohol is consumed before driving etc.
• To transport materials and supplies to various destinations as required by authorized staff for official business.
• To deliver mail and materials as well as any other written or verbal communication to and from locations designated by authorized staff.
• To keep the vehicle in good mechanical and functional condition including but not confined to regular fuelling, servicing and cleaning of the interior and exterior.
• To perform regular preventive maintenance and minor repairs where possible.
• To notify the Administrator of any major repairs necessary and to assist in arranging and overseeing/supervising such repairs.
• To ensure that all required documentation for administrative use such as mileage, fuel usage and trip authorization tracking information is kept up to date at all times in the prescribed manner.
• To ensure that all legal, institutional and municipal requirements and dues are met in good time and/or regularly renewed e. g Third party and Comprehensive Insurance, Parking Fees, Registration and Licenses etc.
• To ensure that all reasonable measures are taken to protect the vehicle from theft or damage e.g. by ensuring that it has adequate security and accident features such as alarms and “bull horns”.
• To run general errands and assume other duties as assigned by the Administrator to ensure the sound functioning of the office and achievement of project goals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of current traffic rules and regulations
2. Basic knowledge of vehicle operation and the associated mechanics
3. Familiarity with the lay out and location of key facilities in Kampala and other major Ugandan towns.
4. Physical ability and willingness to drive for long hours and occasionally on weekends and/or holidays.
5. Ability to communicate competently and understand instructions in English and in common local language/s.
6. Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
7. Ability to understand and adhere to company vehicle policies and competently complete vehicle-related documentation.
Education and Experience
Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education with a credit in English
At least 5 years of proven accident free bus/heavy vehicle driving in Uganda, preferably in a reputable institution
Familiarity with the lay out and location of key facilities in Kampala and other major Ugandan towns
Knowledge of current traffic rules and regulations
A minimum of 3 valid Ugandan D/Permit classes including “DM” or “DL”
Knowledge of basic vehicle mechanics